Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I swear I'm still doing things! Fantastic things!

            So partly because I'm excited that I've figure out what the inter webs meant when it said I could simply "embed an instagram code into my blog's html," and partly because I really am working on things that don't necessarily have to do with words, I thought I'd share some pictures.
            Basically, some time ago I got the idea to make a book.  I like coming up with some type of creative response to all the old, ruddy-duddy classics, but I wasn't entirely sure what to do with Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels.  Until I realized a fun little detail about that book.
            Most of the places that Lemuel Gulliver travels over the course of the novel are imagined locations:  Laputa, Brobdingnag, the land of the Houyhnhnms, and perhaps most famously, Lilliput.  But interestingly, he also goes to Japan.  As in, you know, Japan.  The country/place.
            Having been to Japan once several years ago, I found it funny to think about my travels and Gulliver's travels having overlapped.
            And so, the book.
            Just to be clear, this isn't THE book, as my first book of poetry to be published this summer.  That's called Beltenebros, or the Beautiful Obscure, and it's very much a book of poetry and prose; i.e., Art with a capital "A."  This little project is very much craft/art with a lower-case "a," which means it's been a lot of fun and much less angsty.  These are just a few pictures, and it's still not quite finished, but it's getting very close.

            As a side note, I am working on my next post on Plato.  This time it will be on his Crito.  Just in case you're interested, and if you'd like to have not only an idea of the points of Crito, but also a good laugh, you can check out a highly irreverent and superficial summary at Philosophy Bro, which might be my new favorite blog.
            Cheers!




            So this white boat was actually just a prototype.  For the boat above I just used the template and instructions from Robert Sabuda's website.  Which has lots of fun little projects on it that would be awesome for littles, if you have any.
            The boat for my book is modeled on this one, but significantly smaller, and much more colorful.


            This is just a mash-up of some pretty pictures from magazines, but according to +CyanSlowly, the middle one may be Aran Island.  For reasons I cannot explain, I feel like the one on the far right is the Caribbean/Atlantic, and the one on the far left is the Pacific.


            Seriously.  Iris Murdoch.  Philosopher, novelist, and all-around fascinating lady.


            Blind contour, that somehow didn't turn out so bad, so I re-drew the lines and kept it.


            You know Brobdingnag.  Just to the west of us here in Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment